The History of
The Golf Links Hotel
The hotel was originally
the Manse for the church. It is believed that it was built in the 1840’s and it was held by the Trustees for the Free
Church of Scotland. It was built in the shape of a cross. The stone wall at the entrance to the dining room is the original
outside wall, as is the stone wall in the lounge. The rear of the Manse was knocked down to make way for the new extension
, the stone been used to build the outside wall and chimney breast in the dining room.
On the 13th March 1946 the property called the West Manse was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Leigh-Dodd
from the Caberfeidh Hotel in Golspie and became The Golf Links
4th Aug 1949 Oliver MacLean
Fraser and his wife Margaret of the Staggs Head Hotel, Golspie, became the new owners of The Golf Links Hotel.
12th Oct 1960, we believe a liquor license was
obtained by the waver of the Feu Charter of 1906. Oliver and Margaret carried out many changes to the premises, including
the self catering chalets in 1962. Unfortunately Oliver died in August 1965, but Margaret carried on until June 1966 when
the hotel was bought by Colin Mackenzie Hughes.
1969 it was run by Highlands and Islands Development Board until December 1971 when it became the property of
Bill and June Lyle from Glasgow.
Records show that in July 1972 there was an improvement grant for Links Cottage which
had previously been the gardener’s cottage.
1974 saw another change in
ownership, Mr. and
Mrs. Thomas McLeod from Kelso.
The Hotel then
had a quick succession of owners over the next few years.
28th June 1975 Michael and Margaret Gardner came from The Anchor Inn in
Pittenwee and then November 1976 came Diarmid and Norma Campbell. The quick turnover of ownership then
came to a halt when it was purchased by Robert and Muriel Hamilton from Sussex in April 1978. Robert made improvements to
the hotel with bathrooms and extensions in 1985.
and Margaret Norris from Shropshire had the premises from April 1986 until 25th January 1988 when John and Marjorie Burns from East
Lothian had the hotel for 10 years.
and Andrea Bates from Leicestershire took over in January 1998. They tied the knot whilst resident at the
hotel and left in May 2003
The present owners Linda and Richard Walton from Yorkshire have been here since 19th May 2003.We have upgraded
many parts of the hotel and will continue to do so.
We are still enjoying
our time here, we hope you do too.